Home » Nigeria: Kidnapped schoolboys freed, says state official

Nigeria: Kidnapped schoolboys freed, says state official

by newsking24

More than 300 schoolboys have been lacking for practically every week, after an assault on the Government Science Secondary School Kankara in Katsina State. The Nigerian navy late on Thursday rescued 344 of them, and so they have been obtained on the state capital by governor Aminu Bello Masari, in accordance with his spokesperson, Abdu Labaran.

Boko Haram was not concerned, he added, however quite the boys have been kidnapped by bandits masquerading because the Islamist terrorist group.

CNN has not been capable of independently confirm this.

Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari greeted the information in a press release posted to Twitter, saying: “This is a huge relief to the entire country & international community.”

Buhari additionally requested residents to be “patient and fair” to the federal government amid fierce criticism of the nation’s persistent safety points.

“Our administration is fully aware of the responsibility we have to protect the lives and property of all Nigerians. I ask Nigerians to be patient and fair to us as we deal with the challenges of security, the economy, and corruption. We will not relent,” he wrote.

Why can't Nigeria protect its children from Boko Haram?
Some of the kidnapped youngsters had addressed the Nigerian authorities in a video launched earlier on Thursday, which bore the brand of Boko Haram.

In the video, a boy in a white shirt seems to be coaxed by somebody off digital camera into making the calls for on behalf of the captors. He asks the Nigerian authorities to shut down colleges that educate “western education” and says authorities troops despatched to search out the boys ought to retreat.

The video reveals dozens of kids beneath a tree, who seem drained. The voice within the video claims to be Abubakar Shekau, a pacesetter of one in all Boko Haram’s factions.

Masari confirmed to CNN on Thursday that the youngsters within the video are among the pupils who have been kidnapped. However he disputed the voice claiming to be Shekau, and mentioned as a substitute that “local bandits” have been “mimicking” his speech.

Earlier within the week, a person claiming to be Shekau had mentioned the group was accountable for the kidnapping in a brief audio message shared with Nigerian media and reviewed by CNN.

When talking with CNN’s Becky Anderson on Wednesday, Masari didn’t dismiss the message totally however cautioned that “more concrete evidence” was wanted earlier than it could possibly be confirmed that Boko Haram was concerned.

While kidnapping for ransom by felony parts in Katsina state have seen a disturbing enhance, an abduction of this scale is extraordinary. It recollects the brutal kidnapping of 276 ladies from Chibok in 2014 by Shekau’s faction. More than 100 of these ladies by no means returned residence.

In 2018, a breakaway faction of Boko Haram referred to as ISWAP kidnapped greater than 100 ladies in Dapchi. All however one was launched weeks later, after negotiations.

Obiageli Ezekwesili, a co-founder of the #BringBackOurWomen motion and former training minister in Nigeria, mentioned she was “surprised” the federal government had allowed one other such kidnapping to happen.

“For me, whatever it is that happened on the ground, is a testimony to the fact that governance is ineffectual,” Ezekwesili informed CNN’s Connect the World on Tuesday.

CNN’s Stephanie Busari and David McKenzie contributed to this report.

Source hyperlink

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Select Language »
%d bloggers like this: