Some GPs and pharmacies have run out of flu jabs and are asking individuals to attend till extra inventory could be delivered.
Boots says it has seen very excessive demand for the vaccine and has now needed to droop bookings.
Government officers say there isn’t any nationwide scarcity and there might be sufficient doses within the coming weeks and months to vaccinate the 30 million individuals deemed most susceptible to flu.
Available shares are being given to the over-65s and excessive threat teams.
Once these teams have been immunised, wholesome 50 to 64-year-olds in England will, for the primary time, be eligible for a free flu jab on the NHS. This is to assist defend in opposition to the double risk of flu and coronavirus this winter – analysis reveals individuals can catch each illnesses on the similar time, with critical and typically lethal penalties. There is at the moment no vaccine for coronavirus.
Boots pharmacy mentioned it had elevated its order of flu jabs by round a fifth in anticipation of a really busy interval, however the degree of demand it had seen in the previous couple of weeks was unprecedented.
Flu vaccine ordering is completed many months upfront of the flu season and the supply is phased over the autumn and into winter.
Head of the Royal College of GPs Prof Martin Marshall urged individuals to “sit tight” and careworn it was essential that every one these eligible for the flu jab got here ahead when advised to take action.
Dr Mary Ramsay, head of immunisation at Public Health England, mentioned: “It is usual for manufacturers to stagger deliveries of the vaccine. Every year, there is a phased roll-out and vaccinations continue throughout the autumn. Some GP practices and pharmacies may ask people to wait until they receive further deliveries.”
Helen Concilia from Seqirus, the corporate that provides the kind of flu vaccine used to immunise over 65s, mentioned: “We can confirm that there is no supply issue.”
This yr, the free vaccination is being supplied in England to:
- individuals who had been required to protect from coronavirus and anybody they stay with
- individuals with some medical situations together with diabetes, coronary heart failure and bronchial asthma
- pregnant ladies
- pre-school youngsters over the age of two
- all major college youngsters, as final yr, and, for the primary time, Year 7 pupils
- initially all individuals over 65, earlier than the programme is prolonged to the over-50s
- healthcare and social care employees
- individuals residing in a residential or nursing dwelling
- people who find themselves the primary carer for an aged or disabled particular person
The NHS will get in touch with those that are eligible.
Flu, like coronavirus, is a viral an infection that’s handed on by coughs and sneezes. Social distancing, masks and hand-washing ought to assist scale back the unfold.
Most individuals with flu get better at dwelling in every week, however individuals with persistent situations or who’re over 65 ought to name NHS 111.
Anyone who thinks they’ve both flu or Covid-19 ought to keep at dwelling and self-isolate.
People ought to e-book a coronavirus check if they’ve:
- a excessive fever
- a brand new, steady cough
- a lack of, or a change to their sense of odor or style